Thursday, August 26, 2010

Failure to Communicate

The other day I posted about the disappointment I had in the way my parish handled the Proposition 2 issue. I was disappointed, because where I attended Mass in Michigan, whenever a ballot initiative came up that a priest could and should discuss "from the pulpit" they took that opportunity. Yet here in Alaska, I saw nothing that came close to active support.

Leading up to the election I made sure that I did what I could in terms of supporting the proposal. I posted about it on my blog, linked to the Catholic Anchor, linked to the APR website, and I even wrote to my parish urging them to support the measure publicly in various ways that were available. I received in return a we are looking into it response. What we got was a brief mention during announcements that a letter from the Archbishop had been printed and was placed near the bulletin. (Not in the bulletin, not stuffed in the bulletin, not even NEXT to the bulletin... but near it. Not to mention it was a word document copy and not on official letterhead.) This... non-action disappointed me. But I offered it up, did what I thought was proper in terms of my own response, and let it go. Prop 2 passed, and I was happy.

Until I read the Catholic Anchor's post from the Archbishop. It stung me like lemon juice on a cut. When I read the post, I wasn't upset by what was said, no, I was upset by what didn't happen. Here is the part that got me (emphasis mine):
So for a year leading up to today’s vote, the Catholic bishops of Alaska – Archbishop Schwietz, Bishop Edward Burns of Juneau and Bishop Donald Kettler of Fairbanks – rallied Alaska’s Catholics to support the parental notice initiative.

From Anchorage, Archbishop Schwietz sent letters to the diocese’s 32 parishes and published statements in the Catholic Anchor encouraging his flock to sign a statewide petition required for the ballot proposition, collect other signatures and otherwise “actively support” the parental notice initiative.

He prompted priests to address the issue from the pulpit and post notices in parish bulletins. Parishioners were urged to collect petition signatures on church property and in their neighborhoods.

...

“The support of the Catholic Church played a crucial role in our success,” Minnery observed.

Once the state certified the petition, a ballot question was prepared for the August primary election. And the Knights of Columbus sprang into action. Councils from around the state, along with the national Catholic men’s group, raised over $80,000 for radio and television advertisements in support of Proposition 2. Meanwhile, Planned Parenthood – the nation’s largest purveyor of abortion – and other abortion supporters poured over $800,000 into opposition ads, setting up a David-versus-Goliath media battle.

As the August vote drew near, notices supporting Proposition 2 appeared in Catholic Church bulletins and prayers were offered at Mass.

Sherry Grenier of the Respect Life group at St. Elizabeth Ann Seton Church in South Anchorage distributed yard signs and bumper stickers. And on busy intersections, Catholic families including St. Benedict parishioners Megan Walsted and her children joined throngs of supporters waving “Yes on 2” signs to rush hour drivers.

On election day, Alaska’s Knights of Columbus offered rides to the polls. In Anchorage, the group provided 23 rides to voters who lacked transportation, reported District Deputy Cal Williams.
...
What did our parish not understand? We didn't hear it from the pulpit. I even emailed them and asked for it. In fact... you want to know the real sting, Ms. Lisa Murkowski attended Mass at our parish the Sunday before election day. What a chance to publicly speak out against the vile of abortion, with the captive audience of a Catholic Senator who has a less than stellar Pro-Life record. Instead... we heard a homily about community...and respect...and differences.

We didn't have it in our bulletin either. I emailed the links for the bulletin inserts. I offered my time, talent, and treasure to help stuff the bulletins or do whatever it took. Instead... we got a letter near the bulletins.

Now I have never said where I am a parishioner, and I will continue to keep that off the interwebs. That being said, this pushes me ever close to revealing that. My purpose and goal has never to bring scandal or spotlight upon my neighbors, friends, and faith family.

That being said... we failed here. Sure some of us went to vote, and I pray that others voted Yes on two. But as a parish? We failed. We ignored our Bishop, in fact, we defied our Bishop. He said in his post:
It is a core issue for Catholics, who believe the relationship between parent and child is sacred – and not one to be broken by others, including abortion practitioners.
We weren't part of the success. We were too afraid. To afraid to stand up and say anything, too afraid to support the teachings of the faith, and too afraid to stand up to our church leadership and demand they fulfill their obligation to authority.

We failed to proclaim the Gospel to one another. I say we, because we are a parish community. We are only as strong as our weakest link. We win as a team, and lose as a team. As individuals, we might be OK... but that shouldn't be good enough for anyone. If we truly believe in what the Eucharist is... then we failed. For it is supposed to unify and create the communion with one another that only it can bring. Therefore, we failed. We did not communicate the message of our God to one another, and therefore failed in communicating it to the world.

I know people from my parish know who I am. I don't hide who I am on my blog, I also don't advertise. Our parish business is our own. But if we are unwilling to stand for this most basic teaching of the faith... we will fall for anything, and should that be kept quiet? Our parish, and others like it, must do a better job of teaching the faith. We aren't the only ones. In many parishes in the area Catechesis is laughable, ministries are wacky and questionable, an inconsistent (or worse sometimes: heterdoxical and even heretical) message is conveyed about the teachings of the faith, and the liturgical life is about as inspiring and sacred as an Alaskan grey sky. It is harder and harder to refrain from saying these things. I do want to be charitable, but at some point silence becomes an enabling effect. How come Anchorage parishes have Respect for Life groups? The answer is not because they asked for it. We ask for things. I know of at least 4 people that have offered themselves carte blanche to various parishes to no avail. We must become an authentic Catholic community.

The sick and twisted irony of this situation is that in a mere month or so we are going to celebrate "Respect for Life" month. Will we hear this message then? Will we have people stand up and have dinners, breakfasts, and get into Diocesan papers showing how Pro-Life we are? Every last parishioner at our parish, and at any parish that doesn't consistently hear a Pro-Life anti-abortion message, should demand to know why not. This can not be an issue that is used for clout, fame, or religious-political popularity.

We have abortion clinics in our surrounding towns, but no parish Pro-Life/Anti-abortion ministries... why not? We have prisons and therefore prison ministries... why isn't the same true for life issues? For those that say: "You don't need the parish." You are right... buy my point is why not?

We have failed to communicate to one another the importance of this issue. So instead we communicate another message. We tell each other that innocent life doesn't matter. We communicate that Social Justice is free trade coffee and taking kids on mission trips. (Don't get me wrong, valid, necessary, and important things... but not sufficient.) We communicate that Social Justice works are about something else... We have failed to communicate though, the Gospel. So we have failed in our Catholic duty. I cannot stand for this...and neither should you. This is one issue... but there will be others. Issues like this are toxic to the faith, they mock God and they rot the core of our parish. Once the core is gone... what fruit can survive? Do not let the silence prevail.


**N.B.:
I was informed of a post by Msgr. Charles Pope. It addresses the issue of preaching and priests. It is a very informative and insightful piece. It quotes Pope St. Gregory the Great and his instruction on preaching. You can read it here: (Link)

No comments:

Post a Comment