Wednesday, April 29, 2009

College new-hires and the zen of BPM

I'm supposed to be preparing a one hour lecture for some college new-hires on: "Basic and Advanced BPM Concepts"... but yet I blog instead ;-)

For those of you who know me well, you'll probably think that my biggest concern is that I only have an hour. I tend to go on and on (and on) about topics that I am passionate about, leading a former co-worker to coin the term "johntification" in my honor.

Explaining BPM is what I do - focussing pretty much on what's now being called BPM-tech more than BPM-bus. When I first encountered BPM I felt like I had found the missing link... a paradigm and technology that closed the gaps between what I knew how to do and what my business colleagues really needed.

I was blown-away by BPM because I had experienced the pain of the problems that BPM addresses. This stuff fixed something that I knew needed fixing.

My worry about introducing BPM to college new-hires is that they probably haven't experienced "Process Pains"... at least not from the perspective of one who writes or maintains software, or from the perspective of someone who tries to get the "right" software written.

When I describe the problems that BPM tackles they may say "So what?". They may scoff at the magnitude of the problems - and they probably assume that the solutions that BPM provides have always been around.

With my standard BPM audience I'm fairly assured that heads will begin to nod in recognition of shared pain in thirty seconds or less...

Most in my audience have experienced meetings where a dozen people had to be present to figure out how that incoming *application* finally ended up as an outgoing *disbursement* (*substitute the inputs and outputs of your own business).

Most in my audience have also experienced "Office Heroes" - those harried individual who on a daily basis keep a company running through shear force of will. Whenever anything falls through the cracks... Whenever anything gets lost or derailed... Whenever any critical deadline is in danger of being missed... Office Heroes jump in and save the day. If a truck hits an Office Hero your business will really have to scramble to recover.

BPM helps business people understand how their company really runs, and it helps reduce their company's reliance on Office Heroes. BPM helps IT people provide tools that make it easier to run the company, easing the burden of the Office Heroes.

My college new-hire audience will certainly understand what I tell them about BPM - but will they relate? Can I make BPM relevent to their own experiences, or will I just sound like an old guy droning on about the old days: "When I was your age, computers only had 4K of memory....."

These "kids" are smart... they just haven't had as much experience. Instead of relying on shared experience to grok BPM I'll have to find another approach... When (or if) I figure it out I'll let you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment