Sunday, October 28, 2007

New eBay Sign-In Page: Are You Prepared?

EBay is rolling out another change, something that sounds minor but if you don't know about it, you may have a freak-out moment first time you see it. (Maybe they'll release it on Hallowen . . .)

They've made a new login page and, indeed, it does look different. You can read all about it here and see a screen shot. The picture reminds me of the Paypal login page, which also has changed recently.

Security is a big issue with eBay and should be for you as well. The announcement page also includes some ways to ensure that you are logging in to a legitimate eBay site. One of the suggestions they make is to download the eBay Toolbar which includes a feature called Account Guard. I have had the toolbar for a long time and particularly like the Account Guard feature as it shows me when I am on a legitimate eBay/Paypal site and when I am not. Also, it lets me know when I am about to transmit my eBay or Paypal password to a non-eBay/Paypal site. I have different passwords for nearly every site that I have to sign in to and occasionally I will type my eBay password in place of the correct one. When I do, the Account Guard lets me know, and I'm glad it does.

Hopefully the transition with the new login page will go smoothly, but every eBay account holder should be aware that there is a change coming up. Read the announcement for yourself and consider downloading the toolbar. You may be very, very glad you did.

No comments:

Post a Comment