Friday, April 7, 2006

The Portrait and the Pixel

Have you ever seen the painting "Lincoln in Dalivision"?
From a distance, you see a portrait of Abraham Lincoln, but up close the painting is a strange collage that prominently features a nude woman.

I have a clear memory of the first time that I saw a print of Salvador Dali's painting of Lincoln...
I was at the home of a faculty adviser at Rice University, and being a rather sheltered boy from West Texas, I was stunned that my professor had a painting of a naked lady above his fireplace...
Imagine my surprise when I viewed the painting from a distance... What had been "shocking" was now almost patriotic.


This lesson of perspective is an important one for programmers to learn.
When we get immersed in details, we can lose site of the big picture, and the big picture might be significantly different from what we think we are working on.

No comments:

Post a Comment