Wednesday, January 11, 2006

A day in the life of Kim

My day begins at 6:00 AM, which is unusual for me. In every other job I've ever had, my day began by hitting the snooze button at least five times. But I am so excited to get to work and see what is happening with the AdSense network that I now get out of bed with no trouble at all.

That may sound like a bunch of you-know-what, so for proof I turned to one of our publishers for a sign of my genuine love for my job:


















I start my day with a run on the bay and a quick trip to the gym and showers at Google. I usually get into my cube around 8:00 AM, check for any big news, and if all is calm, I work on a novel I am writing for about an hour.

From 9:00 AM until 6:00 PM, my day is packed with meetings. I meet with the people who track our major email support issues. If there are things that need to get fixed, I escalate them to the product management team. I also meet with the managers on my team to track feedback and feature requests from publishers and make sure the most important ones get on the product roadmap, so be sure to keep sending us your feedback! I meet with the business analyst team to track key metrics and make sure that we are constantly monetizing better for you. I meet with visiting publishers to hear first-hand what their experience with the AdSense network is like. I also meet with advertisers who come to Google to hear about their impression of the AdSense network, and to figure out new ways of getting more advertisers to spend on the network.

We are growing fast, so I usually have at least a couple of interviews every day. I also have a meeting with everybody on the team regularly to hear their ideas for improving the program and to check in on general management questions. Most importantly, I approve some new applications and answer some emails from publishers every week.

After 6:00 PM I generally try to catch up on the 500 or so emails in my inbox in time to have dinner with friends in Palo Alto at 8:00. As I head to bed each night, I always look forward to what the next day will bring working on such an interesting and rewarding product.


























No comments:

Post a Comment